LGBT History Month

Sukhi Bains
Wednesday 16 February 2022

On behalf of Alastair Merrill, Vice-Principal (Governance):

As a visible University LGBTIQ+ Ally, and as Vice-Principal for Governance, with portfolio responsibility for Diverse St Andrews, I am delighted that the celebration and observance of LGBT History Month this February is a vital element of the Diverse St Andrews community.

After two years of restrictions on social interactions, we are increasingly able to enjoy the ability to engage and interact in-person as well as virtually, and I want to thank members of the Staff LGBTIQ+ Network and the Saints LGBT+ Society for the support and commitment they have given and continue to give across our campus community and beyond.

We continue to enhance understanding and raise awareness.  In the past year, I have directly supported the development of guidance on Pronouns, now available on the University’s Policy Zone, together with the accompanying animated video learning resource.  We are planning further training opportunities for departments, and modules will be launched soon by LGBT Youth Scotland as part of our Athena Swan and LGBT+ Charter renewals.

Throughout my career, and in my personal as well as my professional life, I have championed diversity and inclusion; I remain committed to ensuring that everyone in our University and our community is treated with dignity and respect, in a culture where all can thrive.