Preparing for your Viva (2 March)

Anushrut Ramakrishnan Agrwaal
Wednesday 16 February 2022

This GRADskills workshop is for doctoral students from any discipline in the final year of their PhD. The PhD viva is an integral part of the PhD process in the UK. It offers great opportunities for a well prepared candidate to discuss their work with experts in the field. This course aims to demystify the viva process, help build your confidence and give you an overview of the viva in the context of your own PhD research. The workshop aims to help you understand, the ‘big picture’ of your research in terms of originality and contribution, the role of your supervisor and both examiners, what to expect on the day – typical questions and possible outcomes, how to manage yourself to avoid getting overly stressed during the viva process, and any other concerns raised by participants during the workshop.

Booking link: Request a place at Preparing for your Viva

What previous participants have said about this course:

• “It was a useful insight into the ‘black box’ of the viva and he gave a helpful reminder to look at the bigger picture of your thesis as well as the nitty gritty.”
  • “Reduces the fear factor and feel more comfortable w/ what to expect. Good to hear advice from someone who’s gone through the viva experience as a PhD student and as an examiner.”
  • “I just wanted to thank you for the course you gave at St Andrews on 19th Feb. I had my viva on 13th March and it went really well, I only have minor corrections to complete. Your course really helped me feel much more prepared for the viva and I knew what to expect going into it which helped me feel less nervous.”

This workshop will be held online via Zoom.